Beef Barley Soup
What’s your go-to soup? Lisa Haggstrom of Cookies and More by Lisa LOVES soup. Beef Barley Soup featuring one of her favorite winter veggies, the rutabaga, is her comfort food. In her Meet the Minnesota akers feature, Lisa shared that when she’s not baking cookies, cake pops or Slovenian potica, you’ll find her preparing her favorite soups year round.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 carrots sliced
- 1 stalk celery sliced
- 1-2 cups rutabaga diced (small so it cooks in the same time as the other ingredients)
- 2 cups cooked ground beef ground turkey or chicken also work
- 6 cups reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes 14-15 oz. undrained
- 1/2 green pepper diced
- 2/3 cup barley
- t Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 package beef gravy mix Optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley or 2 tsp dried
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1. Cook onions and garlic in oil over medium heat until softened.
- 2. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered about 40-50 minutes or until barley is cooked.
- 3. Remove bay leaf and serve.
- Soup may thicken upon cooling, add extra broth (or water) to reach desired consistency.
I enjoy sharing favorite recipes from the makers I interview. It’s another way for us all to get to know the innovative creators in our community. My kiddos gave this soup high marks. They thought the barley was a special pasta and really enjoyed its slightly chewy texture. I used frozen tomatoes instead of canned and did not include the beef gravy mix.
Leave A Comment